Content Pillars are the basics you need to lay a strong foundation for social (𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘍𝘐𝘙𝘚𝘛 𝘵𝘰𝘱𝘪𝘤𝘴 𝘐 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘤𝘶𝘴𝘴 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘮𝘺 𝘤𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘴).
Now, I'm sure you're asking: What in the hello kitty is a "content pillar?" Content pillars are 3 to 5 category buckets you discuss or post about the most online.
Why are they so important? Once you have them established, they make your content planning SO. MUCH. EASIER.
I like to break them up into 5 different categories:
- entertaining: holidays, trends, humorous quotes/sayings related to your industry
- educational: how-tos, tips, tutorials, did you know
- encouraging: community engagement, shoutouts, motivational quotes
- inspiring: your story, client wins, your why, before & afters
- informative: behind-the-scenes, new products/services, promotions, benefits
Step 1: Decide Value. What kind of value do you want your content to give your audience? You can base your core values on the five categories above.
Step 2: Establish your content pillars. Not sure where to start? The easiest way is to look at your page analytics and see which posts have outperformed the rest. This will tell you what kind of content your audience is vibing with.
I can't stress enough how vital nailing down your pillars are to social success with less overwhelm. When you're feeling uninspired to come up with content, this is your go-to to-do list.
Step 3: Build your content bank. Now this is a game-changer my friends. Create a google doc or hop onto a platform like Asana and create separate sections for each of your content pillars. Every month, set time aside to add new ideas to each section. Don't overthink it. Just type everything that comes to mind.